Friday, 4 November 2011

Thank Goddess it's Freya's Day

I woke up this morning thinking "it's Friday, Freya's day" ... then got to wondering, like you do, how many people are even really aware that their days and months are named to honour the gods, the sun, the moon and the planets. Then I wondered some more ... in times gone by when the Sun and the Moon were all important to the growth of food, times to sow and to harvest, times to store up and times to feast people were so aware of the natural world, their environment and the changing seasons. Nowadays food is under the rather powerful domain of the multi conglomerate, everything is chopped up, processed and packeted, in season, out of season, grown locally and shipped from all over. It's a "have what you like, when you like with no regard to the whys, when or hows it got there" smorgasbord of choice with complete disconnection to the earth, the sun, the water, the soil, the people it come from. It makes us feel as though our technology has the power to give us everything. How often are we really aware that we rely on the Sun, the Earth and the Water to feed us? That we are totally and utterly dependant on them ... not our bank accounts, not the local supermarket, not the worldwide web and not the superpowers. How did we become so alienated from real living? When did everything else rise in importance and meaning like skyscrapers so far above the fruitful earth? It's seems that humanity is trying so very hard to deny its roots and out grow a mother, who unfortunately we are still so very dependant on. And just like a rebellious teenager we are disrespectful and hateful and forgetful. But how long before she takes us down a peg or two reminding us of our place. Let's hope that, more lovingly than fiercely, she will teach us the lessons we need, but I fear we are pushing her patience to the limit. So thank you Freya, goddess of fertility and love, for reminding me of how small and dependant I am. Thank you Great Mother for nurturing me. I won't forget you in amongst a crazy world of plastic and internet and cars and planes and shoes and books and coffee shops and phones. I will come home so very often, without my troubles and my laundry, and love you with my bare feet and my heart. I will praise the indefatigable greenery, the flowing waters and the radiant sun.

The Dreadess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment