Sunday, 22 January 2012

Biggin' Up The Avocado

I breakfasted this morning on the bestest green smoothie consisting of 1 banana, 1 avocado, 1/2 an orange, 1/2 a lemon, 1 kiwi, a bunch of watercress and some water. It was delicious, fresh and invigorating. Then I did something that I've been doing regularly over the years. I took that avocado skin turned it inside out and rubbed the last bits of avocado over my face, taking care to massage it gently in. Then I liberally covered my hands with the last bits. Yep I'm sat here now with a green face. I'll wash it all off in a mo, but while I wait I thought I'd let you know why I love the superfood that is the avocado.

Although an avocado is about 3/4 fat, it's good fat and it's the perfect ratio of fat, protein and carbohydrate. Each avocado is rich in omega-6 fatty acids which is great for skin and regulating hormone functions. They have about 35% more potassium than bananas, they are rich in B vitamins, as well as vitamin E, vitamin K and copper. As a good source of choline mean that they aid liver and memory functions and help with body weight balance. They also have natural antibacterial and antifungal properties and are great in boosting the immune system.

They can help to lower harmful cholesterol and raise good cholesterol levels. Research is being done to see if they are of use in the fight against cancer, due to a combination of specific aliphatic acetogenins and the presence of glutathione which blocks thirty different carcinogens. Research is also being done to assess their effectiveness against AIDS, hypertension and certain types of diabetes.

All those wonders aside I love the taste, the texture and the way it improves my skin from within and without. It's all that vitamin E and fatty acids that do the trick. So next time you eat an avocado don't throw the skin away before you've slapped the leftovers on.

The Dreadess xx

1 comment: