Saturday, 21 January 2012

Fear Is The Door To Courage

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

I'd like to do everything I can to avoid being an old person who says, "Why didn't I do that? Why didn't I take that chance?" - Barbara Streisand

So many times I have told my son that being brave does not mean you are never scared. It is okay to be quaking in your boots. It is how you walk in those quaking boots that matter. Is it forward or backwards. I tell myself too, that when I am fearful it is in those times I have a chance to see the depth of my inner strength.

Courage does not really get a chance to show its face on the easy path. Those that walk the road of endurance, personal cost and transformation have many more opportunities to overcome the fear with bravery. The hard road up the mountain is always rewarded with better views, in this case views of our beautiful, strong selves and the ability to look back along our steep and rocky path with pride at all the obstacles we have struggled and succeeded to pass.

Sometimes the path of self healing takes real courage, as the first part is often holding up the mirror and taking a long hard look at the reflection of mind, body and spirit. It is brave to take off the veil of denial. It shows true courage to live with honesty. It shows mastery of fear when we pursue our dreams and run the risk.

So next time fear shows up, say thank you for being shown a new doorway to courage and step through, even though you are shaking like a leaf.

‎Do one thing every day that scares you - Eleanor Roosevelt

The Dreadess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment