Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Utkata Konasana

Tonight I was introduced to Utkata Konasana or Goddess Pose by my lovely yoga teacher. You can imagine how happy that made me. It is similar to Goddess invocation poses I have used during ritual or embodiment. This evening it was an all female group and for this particular section of the class we were all facing in, creating a circle. So to do the Goddess Pose on top of all that was powerful, good stuff.



We did it as part of a sequence, from Tadasana (mountain) to hands in Namaste (prayer) to Utthita Tadasana (five pointed star) to this wonderful Utkata Konasana (Goddess pose) to Prasarita Padottanasana (wide leg foward bend ) back to Utthita Tadasana and then back to Tadasana with hands in Namaste.

It connects you to a raw, feminine strength that is surprising for a position that actually leaves you fully exposed, open and vulnerable. It is so different from the warrior and other strong asanas, this is all about finding that inner strength minus the shield and the armour. It is tough on the thighs and you can feel the powerful earth connection whilst acknowledging the heavens. I found it interesting that the squatting is actually a birthing position and connects you with the inner creatrix with a very loud roar. You can feel the energy pulsing through your body afterwards. It made me feel incredibly grounded whilst my hand chakras were opened wide.

I loved it and I'm going to play with it. Its one to use on those days when it all seems a little overwhelming and in creeps the self doubt. Definitely one to use when you need to get your Goddess on.

The Dreadess xx

1 comment:

  1. It was a wonderful introduction to an asana, with which both strength and vunerability are pulsing through your body. I love it, and have been practising all week with it. Exx

    ReplyDelete