Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall

The very purpose of spirituality is self-discipline. Rather than criticizing others, we should evaluate and criticize ourselves. Ask yourself, what am I doing about my anger, my attachment, my pride, my jealousy? These are the things we should check in our day to day lives. - The Dalai Lama

So when you look at all that surrounds you, your own personal mirror of life, what is it that you see? What does your circle of friends tell you? How do people treat you? Do certain traits in people you know irritate you often? Do you come across the same behaviour patterns in others time and time again? Maybe it's time to see that it is all a reflection.

I know I don't always like what I see staring back at me in my own life and it bugs me when I realise my bad habits are presented to me in the actions of those around me. It's so hard to not have one rule for myself and another for what I expect of others, but I've learned that certain scenarios disappear over time once I've worked on that aspect of myself. I'm grateful for my mirror even though I don't always like what I see. Sometimes I stupidly avoid being honest even though there is a neon sign, stating quite clearly the current shortcoming, on my forehead as I stare at myself. I can almost hear myself going "la la la it's not me" in my head ... and then I have to go "uh yeah it is".

Even though the honest reflections are a killer sometimes, it is through truth that we grow. So it's good to be humbly aware of our warts and blemishes, but obviously not lose sight of our glowing beauty. The more we acknowledge our own failings the less we see in others. In turn the less irritated we get, the better the reflection gets and all is much happier. Smiley face, smiley mirror.

The Dreadess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment