Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Devi Mahatmyam

Just recently I've been enjoying yet another of Thomas Ashley-Farrand's books on mantras. I love the way he tells the tales related to the mantras, wound around the spiritual philosophy and their practical usage. I've been using mantra as part of my personal evolvement and spiritual practice for about seven years. I dip in and out of them. I have my favourites that I come back to time and again or just sing when I'm in the car alone or doing the housework. Some of them I've used as part of a forty day discipline when working with something particular.

With more than my usual excitement I ordered this book though, as it is all about "tapping in to the Great Goddess energy within". Perfect. I've been perusing Shakti Mantras for over a week now and this mantra, which is one of hundreds therein, is my new favourite.

The Devi Mahatmyam is a hymn in praise of Durga-Chamundi by the celestials themselves. It is chanted to invoke the power of the Divine Feminine, the Shakti. It honours each and every aspect of the goddess nature in its twenty seven lines and I love it.

It comes from a Hindu text The Devi Mahatmyam or Glory of the Goddess. This is the tale of the goddess Durga, the aspect or energy of divine feminine anger which turns against evil, gaining victory over the demon Mahishasura. The original text contains seven hundred verses which is a central to Shaktism and certain goddess rituals. It describes the bloody and fierce battles that the Devi or Shakti wages against throngs of demonic enemies. Those foes really represent our human failings which come from our pursuit of power, possessions and pleasure. This one supreme goddess kills the monsters of ego and awakens us upon the battlefield of human conciousness.


All seven hundred verses are recited without interruption in ritual. This mantra is the hymn in praise to the Devi that comes at the end of that epic battle. At the moment I'm still fumbling over some of the lines of these twenty seven, can't imagine having to learn all seven hundred verses of the whole text. The mind boggles. I'm only doing one repetition out loud as part of my daily devotion to the Goddess at the moment, but I hope to have learned it in time so that more repetitions will be easier. The blissful and empowered feelings I'm getting from just once a day is spurring me on and some of the latter half is beginning to flow for me already. The energy of mantras are accumulative and I can't wait to see where this one takes me. Today I've decided to write it out also, as part of my devotion too. So here it is with the translation ...


1 - Namo Devyei Maha Devyei Shivayei Satatam Namaha Prakrityei Bhadrayei Niyata Pranata Smatam

Salutations to the Great Feminine, who is the abode of all blessings. Salutations to She who is the primordial energy of the cosmos and it's sustaining principle. We offer adorations with deepest devotion.

2 - Raudrayei Namo Nityayei Gauryei Dhatrayei Namo Namaha Jyotsnayei Chandu Rupinyei Sukhayei Satatam Namaha

Adorations to She who is both dreadful and eternal. She is the bright one who sustains the cosmos with a soothing form of the moon with its coolness, grace and charm. Salutations to the source of bliss again and again.

3 - Kalyanyei Pranata Vridyei Siddyei Kurmo Namo Namaha Nairatyei Bhubritam Lakshmiyei Sharvanyei Namo Namaha

Adorations to She who is the source of all blessings. She is the prosperity, success, and all forms of wealth. she is also the misfortune of the arrogant ones as well as the Goddess of Fortune to her votaries. The very consort of cnsciousness, we salute her again and again.

4 - Durgayei Durga Parayei Sarayei Sarva Karineyi Khyatyei Tathaiva Krishnayei Dhumrayei Satatam Namo Namaha

I make my deepest bows and offer my inner obeisance to the Great Feminine who takes her flock across the ocean of tribulations. She is the originator of all and the essence of everything. To She who often appears in deep spiritual blue, I offer songs of praise.

5 - Ati Saumaya Atiraudrayei Nata Statsyei Namo Namaha Namo Jagat Pratistayei Devyei Krityei Namo Namaha

Salutations to She who can be terrible when need be. but who is gentle by nature and upholds the Universe. She is the fountain of all creativity. To her we bow again and again.

6 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Vishnu Mayeti Shabdita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

Salutations to the Great Feminine, power of Vishnu himslef, who abides in all beings. Salutations again and again. Here are but a few of your ineffable qualities.

7 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Cheteneya Rupena Bhiditate Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Infinite Consciousness.

8 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Buddhi Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Intelligence.

9 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Nidra Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Sleep.

10 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Kshudhi Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Hunger.

11 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Chaya Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Reflection.

12 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Shakti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Power.

13 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Thrishna Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Thirst.

14 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Kshanti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Forgiveness.

15 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Jati Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Genius.

16 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Laja Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Modesty.

17 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Shanti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Shanti.

18 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Shraddha Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Faith.

19 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Kanti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Beauty.

20 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Vritti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Activity.

21 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Smritti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Memory.

22 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Daya Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Compassion.

23 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Tusti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Contentment.

24 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Matri Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of the Mother.

25 - Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Bhranti Rupena Samsthita Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

I bow to the Great Feminine who abides in all beings in the form of Delusion.

26 - Indriyanam Adhistatri Bhutanamcha Akilei Shucha Bhuteshu Satatam Tasyei Vyapti Devyei Namo Namaha

I bow again and again to the rules of all the elements and the senses. Salutations to the Great Feminine.

27 - Chiti Rupena Ya Krits Nametat Vyapya Stitha Jagat Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Nama Stasyei Namo Namaha

The Great Feminine resides in all beings in the form of consciousness and pervades all parts of the Universe, adorations to Her again and again.


These beautiful and powerful words of absolute devotion and adoration are used to invoke the Shakti, the Devi, the Great Feminine in all things to bring gifts such as understanding, bliss, peace, power, wealth, beauty and compassion. I'm enjoying it immensely.

The Dreadess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment